Wednesday, 16 July 2014
Jonathan To Meet With Chibok Girls’ Parents Next Week – Okupe
President Goodluck Jonathan has directed that letters be sent to parents of the abducted Chibok schoolgirls, inviting them for a rescheduled meeting.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Public Affairs, Doyin Okupe, who disclosed this to State House journalists yesterday, said the rescheduled meeting might hold next week.
The president had in a statement announced the cancellation of the meeting earlier slated for 4pm yesterday, claiming that political forces within the Nigerian chapter of the BringBackOurGirls campaign had taken advantage of the grief of the abducted girls and their distraught parents.
But Okupe later told journalists that he received a phone call indicating that the girls’ parents would not honour the president’s invitation for the meeting scheduled for 4pm.
Okupe, who said buses had already been dispatched to convey the parents to the State House, added that investigations showed that the BringBackOurGirls campaigner whisked the escaped girls and the parents of the missing girls away back to Borno State from Abuja early yesterday morning.
The presidential aide also alleged that the campaigners intended to discredit the president and prevent him from running for election in 2015.
“The meeting was scheduled for 4 pm yesterday (wednesday) at the instance of the request that was made by Malala and the president graciously agreed within 24 hours to meet with them (the parents). But unfortunately, the #BringBackOurGirls leadership prevailed on the parents of the girls, stopped them from coming.