Monday, 23 June 2014
Suicide bomber kills 3 soldiers in Borno, Boko Haram kills 40 in new attack
Vanguard reports the suicide bomber drove through Wala and Warabe villages before getting to the military post where the bomb detonated and a loud sound immediately followed, with the vehicle the suicide bomber rode in and other things in the attack scene destroyed.
One of the residents of the area, Mallam Usman Yaro who spoke with Vanguard said residents of the area were still asleep when the bomb detonated.
"We were woken up with a bomb blast on the road near the school, some of us started to run for safety while others fled into the school and hill tops of Gwoza. I cannot tell you the exact casualties but three soldiers fell on the road side while others took to their heels for safety, as the car that contained explosives ripped into pieces to create a deep crater near the post. None of the civilians was killed as people were still asleep when the suicide bomber detonated the explosives that killed him and three soldiers.”
In a related development, suspected Boko Haram men over the weekend attacked Chuha A Chuha B and Korongilim villages in Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State, killing 40 people including teenagers. According to one of the community leaders, Mallam Yakubu Joshua, the attack which lasted 5 hours, started 7am
"Some suspected Boko Haram terrorists invaded Chuha A, Chuha B and Korongilim villages of Chibok council of Borno State and killed over 40 persons. The terrorists injured many other villagers, burnt many houses and made away with our foodstuff. The attack, which commenced at 7a.m. yesterday lasted over five hours before military intervened. I and some other residents of Chibok had made several telephone calls to the military, unfortunately they (military) only started bombing the surrounding area of the attack after over 40 members of our community had been killed. The lifeless bodies of our people are still littered in the three villages as I speak, but our present fear is that many innocent villagers may be hit by the ongoing bombings by the military.” he said