Tuesday, 29 April 2014
Chibok Kidnap:Abducted school girls spotted in military coloured vehicles-BBC reports
A resident of the small town of Gwoza in the remote north-east said on 25 April she saw a convoy of 11 vehicles painted in military colours carrying many girls.
This will be of little comfort to the parents as it suggests at least some are now even further from home, close to the Cameroonian border.
The fact that Islamist fighters from the Boko Haram group are still able to move across parts of Borno state in convoys points to the severe limitations of the current military strategy.
The attack is an eerie echo of a mass abduction in northern Uganda back in 1996. A total of 139 girls aged between 11 and 16 were seized from dormitories at St Mary's School in Aboke.
They were tied together with rope and were taken away by the Lords Resistance Army (LRA), which says it is fighting for a state based on the Biblical 10 Commandments. So, same terror tactics, different religion.
In an extraordinary act of bravery the headmistress, Sister Rachele Fassera, followed them into the bush and managed to rescue 109 of them.
The rest were forced to become so-called wives of the rebel commanders. Most of the "Aboke Girls" escaped and returned years later as young mothers. But at least four of them never came home.
In Nigeria there was such utter confusion and terror after the attack on Chibok School that several days later it was still not clear how many girls were missing.
A solider told BBC
"We are in a difficult situation. We are underequipped we do not have the required weapons,."You cannot confront someone with more sophisticated weapons than you. It is not our superiors doing the fighting - we are the ones at the front line,.
This problem is not from us at the front line but from our superiors. We, the soldiers, have the courage to confront Boko Haram but we do not have sufficient weapons."
"So we have to consider our families our parents and when we go there and get killed, what becomes of our families?"
There cannot be many countries where the political leaders stay as silent following such a tragedy. So far, UK Foreign Secretary William Hague has said more about the Chibok attack than Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan.